Tag Archives: Cube
Amazon Gets Into 3D Printing
E-commerce behemoth Amazon.com has thrown its weight in support at 3D printing.
Over the last week they have begun to roll out a 3D printing category, listing 3D printers, parts, supplies and software.
3D printers include:
- MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer
- FlashForge 3D printer, dual extruder w/2 ABS spools
- Afinia 3D Printer H-Series
- Cubify Cube 3d Printer Silver (2nd Generation) Latest One
- Mbot Cube 3d Printer Dual Head
- Airwolf 3D Printer AW3D V.5 + 1 LB Filament Assembled Prusa Reprap Repstrap
- FelixRobotics BV, 100 040.0, Felix 2.0 Complete DIY 3D printer kit
- and more
It’s exciting to see Amazon getting behind 3D printing!
3D Systems (NYSE:DDD) launched today Cubify(R) Draw, a mobile 3D printing app for iOS. Cubify Draw empowers anyone with an iPhone(R) , iPad(R) or iPad Mini(TM) device to create printable content with their fingertips. Users can digitally doodle with their finger or trace an imported picture and then enhance it with features like adjustable line thickness and height, auto-fill and auto-connect. Users can upload their drawing directly to Cubify or have the STL file emailed to them for printing. Cubify Draw is available in the App Store today via free download.
“Cubify Draw takes digital doodling to printable reality” said Sarah Stocker, Senior Director of Cubify for 3D Systems, “This boundary breaking app is our latest gamified installment in our commitment to democratize content-to-print entertainment on Cubify.”
Cubify Draw is a very simple and straight-forward app. You trace or draw with your finger, and it creates a file for you to print. With this simplicity in mind, 3D Systems shared that “the app is ideal for drawing and printing cookie cutters, pendants, ornaments, bracelets and simple toys.”
We tried out the app and found it very easy to navigate, but hard to create models of any precision. Similar to an Etch-A-Sketch, you have one try to get your lines right or you have to clear the canvas and start over.
We imported the On 3D Printing logo in an attempt to trace the “On”. The results are in the gallery below.
It’s great to see the Cubify team extending into digital and competing with other apps like Autodesk 123D Catch. While this first app feels a bit limited, it’s free and easy to use. So if you have a Cube 3D printer, or want to quickly print a design via Cubify.com, give the app a try!
3D Printing News
A roundup of the top 3D printing news from April 1 to April 7:
- 3D Printing on Asteroids and Mars (Video)
- The Crowd Loves 3D Printing! Kickstarter 3D Printing Summary
Get your exclusive 15% discount to the Inside 3D Printing conference with discount code PRINT.
Cube 3D Printer Events
AC Gears is a curated electronics & lifestyle store in the village of New York City with unique, useful, and innovative products from the US and around the world. They also sell 3D printers. In April, they are hosting several 3D printing events in partnership with 3D Systems.
3D Systems announced that AC Gears will host a series of 3D printing events featuring the popular Cube 3D printer at their Manhattan store on April 4th and 18th, 2013 from 6pm-8pm. The newest Cube, unveiled at CES in January, will be showcased at the events and adults and children alike are encouraged to play, design and print while enjoying great music.
Awarded “easiest to use” and “most reliable” by Make Magazine, 3D Systems has made its Cube 3D printer even easier to own and simpler to use by offering a Print Pack valued at, $1,500, for just $1,399. This comprehensive value pack includes the Cube 3D printer, 4 cartridges, 25 free prints and Cubify® Invent design software, the only 3D design tool optimized for 3D printing. Cubify.com provides more easy printing options for new users with 3D apps that generate free print files and an entire 3D printing marketplace of items to choose from.
Cube 3D Printer Features
The Cube is available for purchase at the AC Gears store in Manhattan. Product features include:
- Up to 1.5X faster print speed and 2X better accuracy for printed parts up to 5.5” cubed.
- Printing in two materials, compostable PLA and recyclable ABS plastics available in 16 different color cartridges including new glow-in-the dark green and blue and metallic silver colors.
- Cube offers a choice of print mode fill density: lite, medium and solid in both PLA and ABS plastics with optional easy, breakaway supports for the most complex prints. Moisture-lock cartridge ensures extended shelf life and total material usage, improving print quality and sustainability.
- The printer detects material type automatically based on the cartridge, eliminating the need to change print settings.
- Aside from being the only 3D printer on the market to print via WiFi, Cube meets all IEC 60950 Printer Safety Requirements, making it the only consumer 3D printer that is safe for home use by children.
Are you in NYC and want to attend? Here are the details:
Who: Cubify and AC Gears
What: Showcasing of Cubify’s Cube printers
When: Thursday, April 4th and 18th, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Where: AC Gears
69 E. 8th Street
New York City, NY 10003
More about AC Gears: The company was founded in 2007 and was selected by Inc Magazine in 2010 as one of America’s fastest growing companies and has appeared on Times, Forbes, Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Wired, among others. AC Gears and its gadgets have appeared on The New York Times, NBC, CBS, The Wall Street Journal, Wired, Rolling Stone, The Jay Leno Show, among others.
Photo provided by AC Gears and used with permission.