3D Printed Rocket Fuel Espresso Cup Goes Viral, Boosts Sales
The emergence of 3D printing technology and 3D printing marketplaces, like Shapeways, is enabling designers to publish innovative products that are ready for commercial use. One such product is this Rocket Espresso Cup by Isohedral which is 3D printed in glazed ceramics.
For a great design to catch the eye of consumers, it needs to be photographed in context. These warm, artistic photos truly tell the story of that morning espresso – a.k.a. rocket fuel. The photos were posted to Flickr, Tumblr, and other social networks, where they went viral and were reposted over 6,000 times.
- A spike in traffic to the Rocket Espresso product page that has lasted over a week,
- X number of sales of the cup to people all around the world
- Traffic increase across the entire site
- Increased sales to individual shops across the Shapeways site
- An inspiring story of the little rocket that could…
All this from a great design, beautifully photographed and shared into the social web….
This experience should help other designers with ideas for promoting their own products in the future.